Buying property? Then this blog is for you!!

This blog helps the property buying community to more easily share strategies, stories and helpful tips. It is an open blog. Anyone can join, contribute and invite others to join.

If you would like to talk property, please contact us:
Office: 1300 911 576
Martyn Fleming: 0400 000 822
Guy Clarke: 0409 055 128
E: enquiries@morpheusproperty.com.au
W: www.morpheusproperty.com.au
_________________________________________________________________

07 January 2010

Reading between the lines. An 'offer'?

The word 'offer' can be such a fickle term when referring to property. I love it when you walk into a real estate agency and are told about the property that has already received offers.

I know a good portion are probably genuine, but I always imagine the conversation going something like....

Day 1 - In the office:
Listing agent: "Hey Fred. I scored a listing today at 15 Smith Street, Brisbane and I'm listing it for $890,000"
Fred (another agent in the office): "Really? I'll give you $550k for it!"
Listing agent: "Thanks for the offer. Make me another."
Fred: "Okay... How about $560k?"
Listing agent: "Hee hee.. Thanks for that!"

Day 2 - On the phone:
Potential buyer: "Hi! I'm just calling about 15 Smith Street, Brisbane"
Listing agent: "Ah yes! I put that on the market yesterday and I've already had a couple of offers. Neither are in writing yet, so you'd better be quick if you're serious about this one..."

Remember - Verbal offers are worth the paper they're written on. Always ask the agent what has materialised into writing. I wouldn't ignore it, but if there's nothing on paper, you probably don't have a lot to worry about.

No comments: